PLAN, last update 2012/05/01

Hi,

Not so much travel so not so much to post here since I have started my working life... But keep posted... Things can always change ;)

In the meantime, I wish the blog might still help you traveling. I will still be available for any question!

Cheers,
Simon


Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dubaï

On the way to Manilla, I made a stop over in Dubaï !

I arrived there around 2 am. I didn't want to sleep so I tried to get aroud to take some pictures by night. Rapidly, it became quite hard to to find out the most famous places I wanted to go. I thought that would be easier to find those biggest buildings but actually there were quite far away as Dubaï is very spread along the sea. Having no map, i decided to get the youth hostel I booked for the next night to try to get any details about the city. I tried to go by walk, but asking my way, people took me away by car!

I didn't have more luck there. They didn't have any map but I could eventually find out the places I had to go. I took then one of the first bus in the morning to Bur Dubaï area. Then I took another to Jumeirah beach...

On the way to Jumeirah beach...



I took my breakfast there and slept few hours... The Burj al Arab hotel in sight...







I walked along the beach till this highest hotel in the world... Then, I tried to get to the business center by walk...



Bus stop... With air conditioning system...



Burj Dubaï... The highest skyscraper in the world (808 m)... Still under construction...






That's it for this first day in this luxury city... Strange sensation of two differnet world there: a lot of workers every where coming mainly from the Pakistan and Indian... and the obvious luxury areas represented by the huges buildings and the luxury cars you see every where. I have never seen that much of Ferrari, Porsche, 4x4.... I have never seen that much of workers neither...

I went back to the hostel to take rest after this long day... Here is the bus station...





The day after, the aim was to visit the golden souk and the creek...

The entrance...


...and around...






I then went to the other side of the creek which is more quiet...
There are narrow streets with some shops selling tissus, silk from mideast countries...










The Dubaï museum...





Afterward, I went to eat in a restaurant, this kind of popular place where you eat everything with your hand... That was pretty cool ! Then I chilled out around the creek !



Dubaï was an interesting place to visit... But a weekend there was enough for me... Indeed, everything is still under construction and except this huge buildings and the creek, there is no much to see, no much to do! Even if I had thousends of euros, I wouldn't spend my holidays there!

No comments: